Introduced in 2008, the P30L (for Long), has a slide and barrel that measure approximately a half-inch longer in length. Otherwise the P30L is essentially identical to the P30.
Like the P30, the P30L was designed as a modern police and security pistol and combining optimal function and safety. Ergonomic features include a special grip frame with interchangeable backstraps inserts and lateral plates, allowing the pistol to be individually adapted to any user.
Ambidextrous controls include dual slide releases, magazine release levers, and a serrated decocking button (on non-LEM variants) located on the rear of the frame. A Picatinny rail molded into the front of the frame makes mounting lights, laser aimers, or other accessories easy and convenient. With an optional loaded chamber indicator installed, a loaded chamber is easily seen and felt. The P30L has a self-decocking, double action hammer with a firing pin block safety that eliminates the need for a manual safety.
Extensively tested, the P30L have already been adopted by European police agencies. Excellent weight and balance make the P30 naturally pointable, easy to control, and accurate to shoot. An open notch rear sight with luminous (non-radioactive) contrast points allows for fast and accurate target acquisition, even under poor lighting conditions.
Aside from conventional double-action/single-action models that feature the serrated decocking button on the rear of the slide, double action only versions are available. These models will use the proprietary HK “LEM” (Law Enforcement Modification) trigger mechanism.
The P30L is currently available in 9 mm.
How to field- strip (disassemble) HK P30L pistol:
1) remove the magazine by pressing the magazine release button;
2) check that the chamber is empty;
3) partially retract the slide, so the slide release lever axle is aligned with the disassembly notch on the slide;
4) press on the slide release axis pin from the right side of the frame, then pull the left slide release lever completely from the left side; note that the right slide release lever will stay in place;
5) carefully ease the slide forward, then pull it toward the front out of the frame;
6) remove the return spring assembly from below the barrel;
7) pull the barrel out of the slide;
8) to remove the right side slide release lever, rotate it upward for about 45 degrees, then pull out of the frame.
Reassemble in reverse order.