The Orita M1941 submachine gun (Md. 1941 Orita géppisztoly) was designed by 1941 by Romanian army officer Martin Orita, possibly with the help of the Czechoslovak arms designers. It entered Romanian service in 1943, and was manufactured at CMC Cugir factory. An improved version of this weapon appeared in 1948, which was manufactured either with fixed wooden butt or with folding metallic butt. The Orita submachine guns served in Romanian army until early 1970s.
The Orita M1941 submachine gun is a blowback operated weapon which fires from open bolt. It has a separate firing pin which pops forward to hit the primer of the cartridge only when bolt finally comes into the battery. The charging handle is located on the left side of the receiver, and does not move when gun is fired. Early models had a cross-button type manual safety, located in the front of the trigger guard, and a sliding fire mode selector, placed vertically on the right side of the gun, in front of the trigger guard. Later ersions featured automated grip safety, made in the form of the lever protruding back from the trigger guard, and had no fire mode selector. The Orita M1941 submachine gun was fitted with wooden carbine-type stock and had adjustable rear sight, marked from 100 to 500 meters.